Chapter 7
"The Quran teaches us sabar--patience--but often it feels that we have forgotten the word and think Islam means women sitting at home in purdah [separation] or wearing burqas while men do jihad" (chapter 7).
This chapter reminds me so much of our nation's current emotional climate. It's like we are crammed in a room filled with barrels of gasoline, toxic fumes filling the air, and someone is about to strike a match to light their cigarette. Perhaps it isn't that dramatic, but as I look at my children and try to figure out how to raise them and prepare them for the future, I'm not sure what kind of American they will be living in and hope that they will at least be men of honor, peace, kindness, and faith.
I find this chapter striking. Not only is there so much infighting and bloodiness in the history of Malala's home nation, but she also shows her level of perspective on their religion. She mentions here how of-base many had become in how they pursue their faith. Things became difficult for her father to run the school as perspectives on who should attend his school and how they should do so were "controversial." Her father was perceptive, seeing that tensions were growing and they were at risk.
At the end of the chapter she mentions the attacks from the US and how destructive and volatile they were to the fragile balance of culture, power, and peace. Perhaps they were just the (unnecessary?) spark that caused the fire to finally be lit--if we look at it from an American standpoint. I do not want my nation to be one that inflicts harm on innocent people, and I hope that was not the case.

Comments
Post a Comment