Least of These
Why do our cultures (whether American, Indian, Middle Eastern, etc.) feel the need to express power by using humans as bargaining tools? Malala explains that women (or girls) were used to resolve tribal feuds. She says that "it is officially banned but still continues" (pg 67).
She tells another story of a girl who was seen flirting and they discovered she was later poisoned by her family as such conduct is shameful.
She explains that the Taliban banned women from laughing out loud. They burned girls' schools. Women had to wear burqas.
Here in America there are similar oppressing practices that hurt humanity: sex-trafficking and abortion, to name the big ones. I get so infuriated when I see how people treat those with less power than themselves. Leaders, people who hold influence (or any human really), show their true character when faced with the care of someone who cannot repay them. Why does power or control over another human's life become so alluring?
I'm so proud of the men and women who fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. People who live loudly for those who do not have a voice. Humans who treat others as humans. Keep it up. Don't give up. It's worth it.
"There's some good left in this world...and it's worth fighting for." -Tolkien
She tells another story of a girl who was seen flirting and they discovered she was later poisoned by her family as such conduct is shameful.
She explains that the Taliban banned women from laughing out loud. They burned girls' schools. Women had to wear burqas.
Here in America there are similar oppressing practices that hurt humanity: sex-trafficking and abortion, to name the big ones. I get so infuriated when I see how people treat those with less power than themselves. Leaders, people who hold influence (or any human really), show their true character when faced with the care of someone who cannot repay them. Why does power or control over another human's life become so alluring?
I'm so proud of the men and women who fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. People who live loudly for those who do not have a voice. Humans who treat others as humans. Keep it up. Don't give up. It's worth it.
"There's some good left in this world...and it's worth fighting for." -Tolkien
Comments
Post a Comment